Wednesday, February 08, 2006

God Giveth and Taketh Away

So, I just had one hell of a few days. Does that sentence make sense? At any rate, I dropped my phone on Sunday as I hopped out of my car to get gas. It was one of those Razr phones from Motorola. Now it is several pieces of a Razr phone from Motorola. It was destroyed from the impact of a three foot fall, and all the data was unsalvageable. I lost all those beautiful pictures and ringtones and phone numbers that were on there, and I'm really frustrated about it. Worst of all, I had just put this Link sticker that I got in an issue of Nintendo Power on it like a week ago. Why couldn't you protect my phone, Link? How can we expect you to rescue Princess Zelda? I thought to myself, well, it's a good thing I won some money on the Superbowl! So I got a new one on Monday, a black Razr. Unfortunately, the Link sticker couldn't be peeled off without being mutilated. Then, yesterday morning, as I was drying my glasses after a shower, they snapped in half!!!! WTF!! At first I taped them together with orange tape and thought to myself, "If only this had happened while I was in the mansion..." So now I need to get new glasses, too! There goes all my loot from the Superbowl!

My grad school buddy Josh gave a seminar today entitled Reagents to Measure and Perturb IP3 Signaling in Living Cells. It was really good! Also, he acknowledged me in the credits for giving him technical assistance. Thanks Josh!! Before the show started, Josh and I used to get together on Thursday nights and play Zelda and Mario and stuff. Now the show is on that night, so we don't.

Also, if you haven't already, everyone should also check out Chris's blog at
  • chrisgeek.com
  • and buy a T-shirt at
  • geekfitters.com
  • 38 Comments:

    At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Karl, babe,

    Why did you give your glasses a shower?!

     
    At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And you went to a Christian college. What were you doing bettin' on the Super Bowl anyway?! That's like 50 years in Purgatory! (not that your Alma Mater would believe in Purgatory)

     
    At 12:33 PM, Blogger Karl said...

    Well, I usually wear them in the shower and wash them in conjunction with the rest of my body. I think that years of this treatment has made them brittle and weak. Also, yes, I did go to a Christian university. A very conservative one at that! Good call on Purgatory, by the way. I'm Catholic, so I can do what I want! That's what Reconciliation is for! ;)

     
    At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I had always figured that Reality TV Stars get a copy of the episodes a bit before they air. Obviously I'm incorrect, but I assume you tape each one to save forever and ummm...show your grandkids? That'd surely be an interesting day at a Grandparent's house. "Look, there's grandpa getting a makeover!"

     
    At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    O, and I bet you could make more than enough money to buy the snazziest new pair of glasses if you sell your old broken ones on Ebay!

     
    At 2:39 PM, Blogger blissee said...

    jodi --that is flipping brilliant.

    karlito, you should definitely sell your broken glasses. i won't be bidding on them since every meal i've had in the last month has come from the $100 jamba gift card i got for christmas (i am poooooooor this quarter) but i bet there's some hot and filthy-rich cougar out there who would jump all over the chance to snatch up your busted specs.

    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

     
    At 3:14 PM, Blogger Karl said...

    jodi! That is GENIUS!!! I must put them up for sale!

    blissee, Joe told me that you emailed him. Send me an IM sometime!

     
    At 7:27 PM, Blogger mary said...

    Karl,

    My brother's an optometrist. I can hook you up with glasses!

     
    At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What attributes do you feel make North Park "very conservative"?
    I'd say that the students and staff are overwhelmingly liberal...

     
    At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Not that I want to get off topic, but you're going to Hell if you think Reconciliation is just a free ticket to do what you want, honey!

    And, jodi... Genius!!!

    We love you, Karl!

     
    At 8:03 PM, Blogger Karl said...

    glover: I know, I was just kidding. I actually used to go to a Seminary and learned all that stuff. Can you believe I wanted to be a priest once?

    hey beth! I remember you from NP! by "remember," I mean in the north park remember sort of way as in "I saw you around, and probably in the scopebook too." I don't know! Maybe it was just the people I hung out with, but I got the impression that North Park was pretty conservative. I could very easily be wrong, though.

     
    At 9:03 PM, Blogger blissee said...

    mary - it's great that you're going to give karl a glasses hook-up. after my elimidate episode(s) aired i was buried in free stuff from my "fans". ahhhh the wonders of television. you gotta love it.

    karl - i'll IM you soon, sillypants. in the meantime, keep rockin' out with chicagoland style.

     
    At 11:17 PM, Blogger mary said...

    Hey Blissee, I know what you mean. After being in the "Helena" music video shoot, kids will recognize me at shows and take pictures with me. My plush dolls were also aired so I'll get people asking me if they can buy a doll from me. Chris is smart to get his shirts and cards aired on the show, it's extremely effective.

    ...

    In fact, I think I'm going to buy a shirt myself.

     
    At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, I can imagine you wanted to be a priest once; you're a 'good guy.' Kinda glad you didn't, though. Still gives the girls a chance at you! Not that being a priest stops some guys from having girls! ;-)

     
    At 7:33 AM, Blogger Karl said...

    mary: Thanks for the offer, but I ordered new glasses on Tuesday morning. These ones should be even more awesome than the last ones i guess. That's so cool that you were in a My Chemical Romance video! I don't know if I could pick you out, though. Are you one of the dancers?

     
    At 7:56 AM, Blogger blissee said...

    mary - i checked out your myspace profile. you looked totally hot for the helena shoot. i dig on the red hair stripes. re: chris, i totally agree. . . being on reality tv is a great launch for a product line. when he starts making girly-shaped tees i will snap one up like whoa. i'm moving to boston in 15 months and i'm thinking that maybe i can convince him to make me one that says, "i put the ass in massachusetts"

    glover - i dated a pre-priest (3rd year of divinity school) and he was totally dirty.

     
    At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why couldn't you protect my phone, Link?

    I love how geeky your regular speech is! We were talking Nintendo last night and how my friend spent all of his hours playing one particular game to his...Paula Abdul cd. lol.

    I just wish I could get my hands on an Intellivision. Those kicked so much ass. Burgertime, Tron Deadly Disks, Nightstalker...I actually sang the Burgertime "song" to my friends and bemoaned not being able to find it as a ringtone. Such is life.

    Have you ever seen the movie The Gamers? http://gamers.deadgentlemen.com/
    It pretty much rules and it's one of those movies that if you have even 1 skill point put into knowledge: rpgs you'll frelling love it. I can't recommend it enough.

    I would laugh so hard if you actually sold your broken glasses on ebay, and even harder if you advertised them on the BATG message boards. hahahaha Totally do it!

     
    At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    http://www.deadgentlemen.com/dgmedia/

    In case you want to watch the preview for The Gamers. They also have a trailer for The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising up. It's pretty freaking sweet.

     
    At 8:53 AM, Blogger the doctor said...

    post pics of new glasses? ...

    my specs, don't ask how much it cost ...
    http://grace.speakeasy.org/~kirk23/lindberg.jpg

     
    At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    For blissee: Me too, but mine was a first year seminarian, and he never made it through.

    How 'bout "I put the 'tts' in Massachusetts"? (tts = titties) Too demeaning?

     
    At 12:03 PM, Blogger blissee said...

    glover - i like the way you think. i think i'm going to do the combo. . . "i put the ass and tts in massachusetts". classic. i love you.

    ooooh chrisgeekybear. . . i need a faaaaaaaavor.

    karl, don't worry. . . you're still my favorite.

     
    At 4:55 PM, Blogger the doctor said...

    are these the stickers you're referring to?

    http://grace.speakeasy.org/~kirk23/link.jpg

     
    At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So yeah. I know this is like, old news for you, but I was so upset that you got eliminated! Anyways, xanga is still better! lol! xanga.com/seremela_telemnar

     
    At 8:28 PM, Blogger mary said...

    Karl -

    It's hard to spot me in the music video, I'm in the pews, but you can see me and the doll on Making the Video. One of the extras sent me this from the shoot.

    And these are my dolls, one, two, three.I could see it as a business. If Chris could make shirts, I could make dolls of people. Would you be interested in one? Haha. :)

    Blissee -

    Yeah, everyone loved the red and black hair! I don't really think it fit me personality-wise, but it was really nice for a while. Haha...I love the "I put the ass in Massachusetts" slogan. My bro went to optometry school in Boston...I love that city so much, I'd love to move over there later on.

     
    At 8:28 PM, Blogger mary said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
    At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmmmm, I noticed you had a link to Loyola's physio dept. on your blog--are you in grad school there?

    ~noell

     
    At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    *sighs and waves* Hey, Karl, it's your sister's friend from like, forever ago.. Not sure if you even remember what I look like, but you've got some support in other parts of the country ;) I've been watching BatG every week that I've been able to after she told me about it.

    So I tried to call her last night, but kept getting her vm, so I gave up and I'll try her this morning (if she's actually around). I knew the second they started showing you and Danielle as much as they were that you two were probably going to be the eliminated couple, and I'm sorry to see I was right, argh... sorry you didn't go all the way :p It's been fun watching you though and rooting for the hometown peeps :)

     
    At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Karl,

    We know you're busy, but do try to find time to tell us about your last episode. And your feelings about Danielle as your "beauty."

    We're really sorry to see you be eliminated. You are so sweet (and cute, too! Go after any girl you want, honey!)

    I hope you enjoyed the experience of BATG. (and that we, your viewer fans, aren't annoying you too much!)

     
    At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Karl, show everyone the pictures of your taped glasses at work today!

     
    At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am really sorry about your phone . . . and the glasses - though as sometime glasses-wearer it seems like wearing them into the shower wouldn't be a particularly good idea.

    Anyway, You were definitely my favorite of all of the guys on the show - Just shows my weakness for tall, goofy types - and I was so sad when you and Danielle had to leave.

    Good luck and Take Care,

    Lekha
    idrinkvolvic@yahoo.com

    p.s. If you ever get to thinking that you'd be interested in a mid-atlantic liberal-artsy classics major, well ...

     
    At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey there Karl. I am a BatG fan and gamer as well so I was kind of excited to see you on the show! I have had a question though... what system/edition do you prefer? We have played so many different systems but so far I am partial to the World of Darkness systems as well as EarthDawn. :D We hope to be starting a Serenity game soon... new system based on the Sci-Fi channel's show, Firefly.

     
    At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh Karl, it was so sad to see you go! I like Ankur and Jennipher but I was rooting for you and Danielle to win. My roomie thought I was crazy screaming at my laptop "YESSSSS!" and then a really long and painful "NOOOOOO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?"

    Ah well, I thought you played well nevertheless. Good luck in all you do.
    ^^=b

    btw, do you play World of Warcraft?

     
    At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Karl,

    I just read your post about not getting recognized, which is pretty funny since I totally recognized you at Level last Thursday (before I even noticed Danielle). Maybe you remember me?

     
    At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey karl! i love the show!

     
    At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay Karl babe, really, I thought I was the only person in the whole wide world that still played Zelda. I mean really. I love that game. Except for the little blue guys. The ones that have the shield and you can only hit them from the side or the back. I cannot kill those suckers. I can kill the red ones but not the blue ones. Any advice?

     
    At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Karl!,
    I just found ur site here on the wb message boards! how cool hehe .. u seem like such a great and genuine guy on the show..I hope u had fun on the show and learned a lot and u looked SOOO hot after the makeover, I'm sure u have no problem wif da gurlz now ;) heheee

     
    At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I <3 Link!

    And I <3 you too, Karl! (how could anyone not love you? You've got a wonderful personality)

     
    At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hahaha that Link quote was hilarious! Funniest thing I've read in awhile, that was priceless (er, to clarify, I'm not laughing because you broke your cellphone, that really sucks... I agree with you, geez Link, if you can't protect his cellphone how can you protect Zelda? Tsk tsk). That was awesome.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home