Monday, February 20, 2006

Long overdue FAQ

This is my long overdue responses post. I'll try to address a bunch of the comments that people made on previous posts because I am lazy and haven't been keeping this up.

If you had a really specific comment that you wanted a response to, remind me on this post or send me an email. I'll be getting to my email today or tomorrow.

FAQ:

Karl, what do you do other than D&D?
Well, I work at Loyola Medical Center as a research assistant. We do Cardiovascular Physiology research, and my job is awesome. Also, I play some video games. Nintendo is the best. I work with a youth group in Wilmette on the weekends. Since I got back from filming the show, I go out a lot, too. Danielle makes me go to clubs that I probably would have never thought of going to before. It's pretty fun, and I think the old me wouldn't have liked it.

Karl, I was sad when you and Danielle left the mansion.
So was I.

Dude you are totally not a geek!
Yes I am. But I'm also a very social person. I function very well in almost all social situations. I think the reason why I was cast on the show is because the one social arena where I constantly fail is with girls. Especially the ones that I am interested in. Also, I have a personality that people would like to see on a reality show, and I did have some room to grow.

What was school like for you?
Actually, I was kind of a jock in college. Captain of the cross country team, most valuable, that sort of thing. But my roommates and I really kept to ourselves a lot of the time. Also, I had goals like getting all 120 stars in Mario 64 and finishing all the sidequests in Ocarina of Time, so that kept me from doing a lot of social things.

Do you play online rpg's?
Nope. I could never get into them, and I don't really see myself getting into them. I can't explain it, they're just not really my thing.

Do you play other rpg's besides D&D?
Unfortunately, no. I started D&D when I was 18, and have been playing ever since. As any gamer knows, rpg's are kind of an expensive hobby. The books cost like forty bucks a pop, and I can't afford to keep up with other rpg's. Stick to one thing and do it really well is what I always say.

What characters have you played?
Haha, this is my favorite question just because I come up with awesome names for my characters. My first character was an elf ranger named Ralph. He was killed by a subversive member of our party. Next was Fnya, a human barbarian. I don't know what happened to him. Then I had Filthy Gimp, an orc barbarian. He's still around I think. Then came Francois, a french halfling rogue. He was awesome, but met an early end to a roper. I had a drow wizard named Tadryn who I never played because the DM introduced me to the party tied up and unconscious. Another party member dealt a coup de grace without even giving me a chance. Then I played Tedryn, another drow wizard. He was pretty good. We played through the City of the Spider Queen module with him. He's still alive and is like 18th level. My most recent character was a Warforged fighter named Roebit. I like that race. A lot. I also had a really powerful druid in there somewhere, but I don't remember his details. I'm DMing right now, and we're working on a high to epic level module called Bastion of Broken Souls. I'm loving it because the story is really good. I just hope my players like it too.

Do you still run regularly?
I'm trying to get back into it. I used to be relatively fast. Tyson and I want to run a marathon together, but right now he could totally whoop my ass. Although, I ran the Phoenix marathon a couple years ago without training and ran 3:30. That's pretty solid. I used to be able to run a mile in under 4:30, but I'm more of a 5K/10K/half marathon kind of guy. At my college, I have the fifth fastest 10K(6.2 miles) time in the school's history (a somewhat unimpressive 34:30). But my crowning achievement is having the third fastest 8K(4.98 miles) time in the school's history, which is 27:19. One of these days I'll get back into my training, and we'll run that marathon, Tyson!

I saw you the other night at a club, do you remember me?
Probably! I love attention, and when people recognize me, i won't forget because it makes me really happy!

OK, so that's all I can think of right now... Any more questions, I'll try to answer them in the comments or in a later post.

17 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger the doctor said...

an elf named ralph o_O ... awesome :p

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't blame me for Tadryn's death. Blame Zim & Brek for identifying you so suspiciously and Don Dofjul for the death blow...

Besides, Shorey was bound with you at that stage and she's still around...

And the mystery druid was Dathan... ringing a bell yet?

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger mary said...

Warforged can be real interesting characters. My friend Josh plays a very young, naive warforged in my friend's Eberron campaign...he's extremely strong but his widsom is so low he'll do just about anything you tell him to. Unfortunately some of the other players are very manipulative so things can get kind of ridiculous.

I have yet to play in an epic level campaign. One of my friends showed me his and some of the impressive stuff that occurs during epic level. I hope yours goes well.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Questions? ok

- Did you really finished all the Ocarina of Time sidequests? Even the all the spiders? I got tired on those ^_^'

- What's your favorite D&D class?

Mine is Paladin. Never played D&D though. All i know about it is Neverwinter Nights fault ^_^'.

that leads me to another question:

- What do hard core D&D players think of Neverwinter Nights?

thanks in advance :D

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger asdfghjk said...

I think it was a good idea to do what you did. I loved watching you on beauty & the geek. Even though you weren't really a geek!

I have a blogspot @ sabrinasdailyblog.blogspot.com you should check it out. Tell me what you think

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Knowing that you <3 Mario makes you that much more dreamy.

*swoon*

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, i was a research coordinator at U of C/ UIC (it was a joint NIH study) while deciding on my profession (pharm, med, pt, or nursing). It was lovely, especially now that I'm back in school and miss working. Is it at the med school in maywood or on the north syyyyde? And are u doing shamrock shuffle?

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya. Karl. It's Bob. I want to know:

-Ever play the final fantasy's?
-Boxers, Briefs or Boxer Briefs?
-Is Cher a bitch?
-What are you doing on Friday?
-Could your druid do cartwheels?
-What's the best chicken parmegian you've ever had/made?
-Are you talented enough to sing all the parts in Bohemian Rhapsody by yourself at the same time?

Love.
Bob

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob
Karl was wearing boxer briefs when they played strip poker, and looking mighty fine.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Karl said...

captain kirk: Ralph must be a family name!

henchman: punk don dofjul!! If Tedryn ever comes across him, Don is going down! Ah yes, Dathan! probably my best character yet! Not much of a spellcaster, but his other druid powers were awesome!

mary: I really liked my warforged, but I found him kind of difficult to play. I still don't know how to play a character that is as aloof as a warforged. Also, epic level campaigns are fun, but combat is very slow going.

alex: I don't think I ever completed any game to 100%, but I get so close that I pretend like i did. I don't really have a favorite class actually. I haven't played them all, but so far I think druid or barbarian. I think neverwinter nights is cool, but again, I can't get into PC games for some reason. They should release in on xbox or something.

stacey: at the med school. Can't do the shamrock shuffle this year, I'm not in good enough shape! Maybe next year.

Bob: or should I say JOE! or perhaps CHRIS!!! I only played Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles and I hated it. But I know it's not a good representative of the series. boxer briefs, didn't you see the strip poker? I don't think Cher's really a bitch, she just wasn't there for the "right reasons" according to the rest of us. But I have yet to see the other episodes, we might get a better picture as things unfold. Also, she was too smart and it may not have been fair for the other girls. On friday, I'm going to play D&D. Then I'm going to some bar in Schaumburg that Amanda was talking about. My druid could do anything. I bet he could even do somersaults. The best chicken parmesan I ever had/made was in the mansion. I made it for everyone one weekend, and I didn't have a recipe. Also, I had never made it before. It was delicious!! As my karaoke showed, I'm hardly a talented singer. I'd probably need a large van filled with Chris, Tyson, Joe, Brandon, Josh, Wes, Ankur, and myself to pull that song off.

Wow, this is one really long comment!!

Love,
Karl

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no PC games? Man... you are missing lots of good games...

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KARL. You already responded to the other comments so I guess I'm not getting a response. Makes me sad. Just thought I'd say hello and tell you that I think you should move to New York. Oooh and I'll leave a question just incase you see this and want to respond : Why aren't you my boyfriend?
Well I think my work here is done.
Hope to hear back
<3

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking back on it, I think it's somewhat sad that a lot of you cross country boys stuck to yourselves...
But I did date Tom Abramson and if he's an accurate representative of a north park cross country runner...Perhaps you were better off by yourselves. ;)
Just kidding...Tom was actually a pretty great guy.
Do you not find some of these comments alittle creepy?

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Karl!

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so mad that BatG is not on tonight! Does anyone really watch the Olympics anyways?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Karl said...

becky: sorry I left you out! Uh, I think my problem is that I always end up as the best friend.
john: I'm too attached to my game cube.
pamela: Can't move to New York, I love Chicago too much. One major reason why I'm not your boyfriend is because we've never met!
beth: You dated Tom? huh, i didn't know that. Tom and I went to Greece together for the Olympics in '04. It was fun!
alison: Danielle tells me that rosati's is good, thanks for the tip!
danielle: HI!! I know I don't watch the winter ones, but the summer is a different story!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question that i have is how much did you win in that slot pull in vegas?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home